If you are a skincare lover looking for a more results, or new to the term cosmeceuticals skincare, this guide will outline all you need to know about cosmeceuticals and why we highly recommend them.
What is cosmeceutical skincare?
Cosmeceutical skincare is defined by the higher percentage of active ingredients, with effect and visible results that are trialled and tested by dermatologists.
Unlike over-the-counter cosmetic skincare you may find at the supermarket or beauty shops, cosmeceutical skincare is exclusive to dermal and cosmetic clinics with some ingredients to only be recommended after a consultation with a Dermal clinician.
What Are the benefits of Cosmeceutical Skincare?
By investing in quality cosmeceuticals, you are investing in your long term overall skin health.
These products are formulated with selected ingredients designed to target skin concerns including:
- Acne and Blemishes
- Pigmentations and dark spots
- Redness and sensitivity
- Fine lines
- Evening and brightening skin tone
With daily use in it for the longevity, you will notice a positive change in your skin.
What are the common
ingredients to look for?
Although you may find some over the counter cosmetic skincare that contain active ingredients such as retinol or vitamin C, the levels of these active ingredients are significantly low, and won’t necessarily be able to offer the same long-term improvements and changes to the skin as cosmeceutical skincare brands.
You can easily determine cosmeceutical skincare by the ingredients they are formulated with. The most popular and well known ingredients are:
- Hyaluronic Acid – Also referred to as Vitamin B holds it weight in water. It is the ultimate product to keep skin hydrated which in return will plump the skin minimising the appearance of fine lines while also keeping the skins hydration levels balanced to minimise the over production of oils that can lead to blocked pores and breakouts.
- Glycolic Acid – Also referred to as AHA’s is a chemical exfoliant that gently removes the top layer of dead skin cells. Suited to all skin types it is targeted for acne prone, blackheads and enlarged pores.
- Retinol – the holy grail in skincare, Retinol as referred to as Vitamin A is highly effective at boosting collagen, unifying the overall skin health and controlling blemishes. Not suited for everyone and must be teamed with sun protection the following day.
- Peptides – Peptides are amino acid building blocks to restore the skin and collagen products. Perfect for fine lines and wrinkles.
- Antioxidants – fight against free radicals to prevent and protect your skin from environmental damage. Antioxidants create a barrier from UV rays, Blue light pollution and everyday urban pollution. Going under the radar, this pollution that your skin endures everyday can damage the collagen and create premature skin ageing.
- Vitamins – From the alphabet of A-E to restore, repair and hydrate from within. Vitamin C-brightens and evens skin tone, Vitamin B – hydrates and revitalises, and Vitamin E soothes and calms.
- Niacinamide: Also known as Vitamin B3, has wonderful anti-inflammatory benefits perfectly suited to sensitivity and redness.
Read our full list of active ingredients and their benefits here.
What are the Benefits of Cosmeceuticals?
Certain skin concerns will benefit from selected gold standard skincare ingredients formulated to target these concerns. Active ingredients include Retinols (Vitamin A), Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) Glycolic Acid (AHA’s).
The image to the right shows results from the long term treatment of the Medik8 Crystal Retinal 6. Active ingredients such as Retinal, retinol and retinoids are not always suited to every skin type and can cause irritation if you have not built up a skin tolerance. If you are new to using Retinols (Vitamin A) It is highly recommended to complete a skin consultation first to get the best understanding of how to build up your skins tolerance and if this product would be best for you (Retinol is not suited to Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers).
We offer online skin consultations with our dermal therapists via virtual questionnaires or video calls redeemable on product purchase.
You can learn more here.
Image via Medik8 conducted over a 12 week trial.
Learn more about our range of Cosmeceutical brands:
Explore our other blog articles for more information on brands, ingredients, skincare guides and more.