Increased pore size is a common skin concern affecting both men and women. People with large skin pores usually have oily skin and are prone to acne breakouts.
What Causes Enlarged Pores?
The basic mechanism behind the pores getting enlarged is the increased activity of oil producing glands in the skin accompanied with build-up of dead skin cells on the surface. Together, they cause a gradual increase in the pore size.
There are several contributing factors. These include:
- Having oily skin (Genetic predisposition)
- UV Exposure (sun damage).
- Hormonal fluctuation (females).
- Possible gut health and microbiome irregularity.
- Excessive use of make-up which can block skin pores.
- Alcohol and cigarette smoking.
- Excess sugar (processed carbs) consumption.
How to manage Enlarge Pores:
- Enlarged pores are more noticeable in females compared to the males. In clinical practice, we therefore find that females are more likely to seek professional help to reduce their pore size
- The primary aim of any skin treatment or skincare products is to regulate the activity of oil producing glands (sebaceous glands) in the skin and encourage the removal of dead skin cells from skin surface (exfoliation).
- In-clinic treatments include microdermabrasion, professional feels, laser & light therapies.
- Avoiding any make-up or other products on the skin which clog the pores, is also very important.
Skincare products to reduce pore size:
Medical-grade, cosmeceutical skin products can effectively regulate the physiology of skin cells. Skincare products helpful to treat enlarge pores include:
- Gentle Make-up remover
- Exfoliating Cleansers
- Oil-free (water based) moisturisers
- Skin Masks
- Topical serums and creams with active ingredients (Retinol, AHA, BHA -Salicylic Acid etc) to regulate sebaceous gland activity and remove dead skin cells.
Important: It is important to understand that skincare products for any skin concern, including Enlarged Pores have to be used regularly (as recommended by product usage guidelines) for optimum results. We recommend using the products for a minimum of 6 months and avoiding any triggering factors to see clinically visible results.