Acne is the single most common skin disorder affecting young men and women all around the world. In clinical practice, managing inflamed acne and acne related scarring is what we do every day.
Acne often effects the self-confidence and self-esteem of the individuals suffering from it. Unmanaged acne can result in permanent scarring of face, neck, shoulders and chest.
What Causes Acne?
Acne is a multifactorial disorder and no two individuals suffering from acne have identical aetiology. Acne is characterized by hyperactivity of oil producing glands in the skin (sebaceous glands) which become inflamed (infected) and result in the formation of characteristic acne pimples, pustules and cysts.
There are several underlying contributory factors which include:
· Genetic Predisposition.
· People living in warmer climates.
· Consumption of certain food such as processed carbs, cordials and carbonated drinks.
· Excessive use of make-up on the skin which can block skin pores
· Gut health and microbiome disorder
· Prolonged UV Exposure (sun damage).
· Alcohol and cigarette smoking.
How to control Acne:
Acne is a very challenging condition to manage. It is important to seek expert medical advice earlier on to minimize the risk of scarring. Eliminating or reducing any triggering environmental and dietary factors (mentioned above) is often helpful to control acne.
Skincare products helpful to manage Acne include:
· Gentle Sun Protection (Sun Blocks)
· Gentle Exfoliating Cleansers
· Topical serums and creams to reduce the overactivity of sebaceous glands
· Topical serums and creams to calm skin down and reduce inflammation.